Garden Park Medical Center
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES - The Medical Technologist performs laboratory testing in one or more sections of the laboratory that assists with the diagnosis of patients. Performs hematologic, chemical, microscopic, immunologic and microbiologic testing in a prompt and reliable manner according to established hospital and departmental policies. Sets up new methodologies, develops procedural protocols and trains lab personnel in the use of instrumentation. Participates in CQI activities and supports the hospital in meeting JCAHO and CAP accreditation standards.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Processes specimens, prepares reagents, performs testing procedures; reports and interprets test results.
2. Performs quality control testing, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
3. Verifies analytic accuracy, precision, sensitivity and references ranges for test methods.
4. Works with Physician to analyze results and conduct more difficult, non-routine tests.
5. Serves as a consultant to medical laboratory technicians and phlebotomists as needed.
6. Orients and mentors new staff members.
7. Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
8. Practice and adhere to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement".
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES - This position requires the following minimal requirements:
1. Must have customer service abilities including effective listening skills.
2. Must be detail-oriented with ability to sustain concentration over long periods of time.
3. Must have critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
4. Must role model ethical, safe, fiscally responsible practices
5. Must be able to read and comprehend written instructions and follow verbal instructions.
6. Must have the ability to handle multiple priorities.
7. Must demonstrate teamwork and team building skills
EDUCATION - Associate degree in a laboratory science, or medical laboratory technology from an accredited institution. Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or Biological Sciences preferred
EXPERIENCE - At least 1 year of recent hospital experience required
CERTIFICATE/LICENSE - MT (ASCP), or registry eligible.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS - Requires corrected hearing and vision to functional ranges. Requires manual dexterity to operate equipment and computers. Requires frequent walking, standing, bending and reaching. Occasionally may require olfactory discrimination. Must be able to discriminate those colors necessary to performance of tests in their assigned sections of responsibility and those tests requiring same shift turnaround.
Making Garden Park Medical Center a great place to work is a top priority
At Garden Park, we want to be the employer of choice on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We understand that our employees juggle multiple demands both in and outside of the workplace.
For this reason, we offer a variety of programs and resources to help meet your needs. Our focus is clear: a culture focused on recruiting and retaining talented employees within a culture where you are our top priority. An EEO/AA Employer M/F/V/D.